Labral Tear Repair
LABRAL TEAR REPAIR
Athletes who participate in sports such as ice hockey, soccer, football, golf and ballet are at higher risk of developing hip labral tears. Structural abnormalities of the hip also can lead to a hip labral tear.
Many hip labral tears cause no signs or symptoms. Some people, however, have one or more of the following:
- Pain in your hip or groin, often made worse by long periods of standing, sitting or walking
- A locking, clicking or catching sensation in your hip joint
- Stiffness or limited range of motion in your hip joint
knee pain doctor in vadodara, knee specialist in vadodara, knee pain doctor in baroda, knee specialist in baroda.
When to see a doctor
Seek medical attention if symptoms worsen or don’t improve within six weeks.
The cause of a hip labral tear might be:
- Trauma. Injury to or dislocation of the hip joint — which can occur during car accidents or from playing contact sports such as football or hockey — can cause a hip labral tear.
- Structural abnormalities. Some people are born with hip problems that can accelerate wear and tear of the joint and eventually cause a hip labral tear.
- Repetitive motions. Sports-related and other physical activities — including long-distance running and the sudden twisting or pivoting motions common in golf or softball — can lead to joint wear and tear that ultimately result in a hip labral tear.
Your doctor will take a history of your discomfort. During the physical exam, your doctor will move your leg, and especially your hip joint, into various positions to check for pain and evaluate your hip’s range of motion. He or she might also watch you walk.
- Imaging scans
- Anesthesia injection
Treatment depends on how severe your symptoms are. Some people recover with conservative treatments in a few weeks; others need arthroscopic surgery to repair or remove the torn portion of the labrum.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) and naproxen sodium (Aleve), can relieve pain and reduce inflammation. Pain can also be controlled temporarily with an injection of corticosteroids into the joint.
A physical therapist can teach you exercises to maximize hip range of motion and hip and core strength and stability. Therapists can also teach you to avoid movements that put stress on your hip joint.
Surgical and other procedures
If conservative treatments don’t relieve your symptoms, your doctor might recommend arthroscopic surgery — in which a fiber-optic camera and surgical tools are inserted via small incisions in your skin.
Depending on the cause and extent of the tear, the surgeon might remove the torn piece of labrum or repair the torn tissue by sewing it back together.
Complications of surgery can include infection, bleeding, nerve injury and recurrent symptoms if the repair doesn’t heal properly. A return to sports can take weeks to months.
During the last couple of years the city of Baroda has witnessed variety of educational, social, religious & many other activities from the stage of VAISHVI ORTHOPEDIC HOSPITAL.
G-2|3|4 Status Avenue, 9, Sampatroa Colony, Jetalpur Road, Vadodara, Gujarat
0265-2320938, 84909 78661
- Paediatric Orthopaedics
- Pain Management
- Sports Rehabilitation
- Foot and Ankle